Goldfish has ragged tail and clamped fins

goldfish emergency Forums gfe FORUM Diagnose Goldfish Symptoms and Treat Goldfish has ragged tail and clamped fins

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Saja100

My goldfish has ragged tail and clamped fins, hiding too

Hi my goldfish has ragged ragged tail and clamped fins. i brought 2 new goldfish 3 weeks ago today and put them in a 20 litre quarantine tank I put there filter in my main tank for a month before, after 2 weeks one redcap I notice his tail become think in certain parts like it was whiter than other parts of the tail then I noticed a rip.

I thought maybe he hurt him self n didn’t want to medicate to quickly he been getting worse n hiding n the other fish stared to nip at him so I removed that fish hoping it’s healthy n put it in my big tank I went to the LFS and they gave me a anti-internal bacteria which I’m supposed to use every other day I’m worried he won’t make it today I started the treatment yesterday I do my water changes every week iv done extra cos of his tail iv tested my water which is all good I’m lost what else I can do the only reason I don’t think it’s fin rot is because there is no red and the tail is still there it’s rough round the edges n his really bad just hiding I can’t see any other symptoms hes swimming yesterday was week please help my little friend Orlando many thanks Saja :negative:

Venus
      Keymaster

Your fish are being poisoned by ammonia. Have you learned about the nitrogen cycle?

Click on diagnose and treat button found on front page. Then click on 911 water change. Follow instructions closely

Next, read the 10 steps found under gfe articles in navigation panel. Read and follow each and every step

I’m on my phone and don’t know how to place links in a post; sorry

Keep us posted, venus

Saja100

Hi thanks for your reply I have learnt about the nitrogen cycle I did this in my main tank which is 200 litres before adding my fish 2 orandas, I wanted to add more fish to my tank so I set up my quarantine tank 20 litres. I brought a filter and left it running in my main tank for a month before I used it in my 20 litre tank. Iv got a liquid test set for ammonia which tested no ammonia, I also did a strip test today which was normal ph 7.5 nitrate 10 nitrite 0. I checked my water : (

Venus
      Keymaster

Okay, good to know. If you’re certain there’s no ammonia in the tank water, then it’s possible the previous owner is to blame. Ammonia burns cause symptoms long after the fact. The only other thing that causes these same symptoms is carbonate mineral poisoning. Both ammonia and KH poisoning lead to the clamped fins (indicating the fish is in pain) and the white marks you mentioned which are burns that will turn black as they’re healing

Either has the potential to cause the gills to swell, reducing the amount of oxygen the fish able to take in. Check to see if there’s swelling

Your pH level indicates the carbonate level isn’t too high, unless your oxygen levels are extremely low. There’s a lot of confusion over pH and its meaning, but in simple terms, it’s a combined reading for KH and oxygen. To make sure oxygen levels are healthy, test KH to make sure if it’s in the comfort zone, and if it is, this indicates the oxygen levels are poor. Your fish will also let you know if the oxygen levels are low by spending more time at the halfway mark or closer to the surface than the bottom. Goldfish are bottom dwellers by nature

Where are you located? by the sea? or perhaps in a region that has a lot of limestone? Both lead to high (KH) carbonate levels. The comfort zone is referred to as 70 to 120 ppm, but we prefer keeping our readings at the high end of the comfort zone; 120 to 140 ppm. Most kits test 20 to 40 ppm lower than the actual reading

Do you have a KH test kit? If not, you can obtain or take a sample of your tap and tank (to compare the two) to your local pet shop for a free test. If you do so, ask for a specific reading

If you find your KH is in the comfort zone, we’ll have to go back to ammonia. Because ammonia burns the fish, the symptoms are obvious long after the fact. The burns are no different than if you or I got a burn from the stove. It hurts for a long time

These are the only two things to my knowledge which can burn fish, and you have definitely described a burn. Recommend TOGs Aloe Remedy

The aloe will also help heal the ragged fins, which is caused by bad bacteria in the water or a low GH (general hardness) Because your fish are relatively new, it’s possible you’re seeing the results of poor water quality from it’s previous home. The comfort zone for GH is 200 to 400 ppm, but again, we prefer the higher side of the zone. Why not have the best water instead of settling for less?

Let’s see KH and GH test results if you can obtain

To reduce the discomfort, reduce the water temperature to 64f by chilling a pitcher of tank water; pour in all around slowly; refill and repeat until the desired temps are met. This is very soothing, and because beneficial bacteria and goldfish alike become dormant in colder temps, no harm done. Just be sure to feed a little less at meal time, and feed peas if you have on hand. When the body temps slow, the digestive system slows too

Glad to help

Venus
      Keymaster

See my post above

Forgot to mention that the meds you added can kill the friendly bacteria in your filter, but maybe that’s what you meant by removing a fish. Did you set it up in a hospital tank? If so, I would return the fish home asap. The meds won’t help it’s condition, and if anything, could worsen it. What the fish needs is water that is rich in minerals, cold and heavily oxygenated

If the fish is in a separate container with water that varies in nitrates from the main fish house, be sure to acclimate it by performing small and frequent water changes, using the fish house water as your fresh water source

Be sure to read the 10 steps. Following each and every step leads to healthy ecosystem. Healthy water…healthy fish :yahoo:

Venus
      Keymaster

See my post above

Forgot to mention that the meds you added can kill the friendly bacteria in your filter, but maybe that’s what you meant by removing a fish. Did you set it up in a hospital tank? If so, I would return the fish home asap. The meds won’t help it’s condition, and if anything, could worsen it. What the fish needs is water that is rich in minerals, cold and heavily oxygenated

If the fish is in a separate container with water that varies in nitrates from the main fish house, be sure to acclimate it by performing small and frequent water changes, using the fish house water as your fresh water source

Be sure to read the 10 steps. Following each and every step leads to a healthy ecosystem. Healthy water…healthy fish :yahoo:

Saja100

Hi thanks for all your replys iv just tested for gh n it’s on >7•d that the reading on my test strip and the kh is between 6•d and 10•d on the test strip it says it’s in the right zones also the Anti internal bacteria meds says it’s safe for all fish plants and filter so I’m hoping I haven’t done more damage also I only put the younger healthy fish in the big tank n left the ill one in the small tanks he’s really bad today he looks like he’s wasting away from the bottom half the tail is very thin n he can’t swim anymore n was a little yesterday n it’s like his paralysed now n didn’t eat today I put it I front of him the only thing he can do is breath. I feel horrible for him I didn’t a little water change today but I worried he won’t make it his tail is just thinner every day n no black marks yet I will try dropping the temp like you said to help h feel better I can’t see him making a comeback from this : (( thanks for all your help I’m not giving up n just wanted to say all the new symptoms I see maybe it will help

Saja100

The only reason i moved the younge hopefully healthy fish into my main tank was because he was nipping at the ill fish n wouldn’t leave him alone I guess that’s natural when you have ill fish. It was a risk putting him in my big tank but I couldn’t watch him picking on the ill fish I took the risk I’m hoping it doesn’t come back to bite me

Venus
      Keymaster

I would guess in this case your KH is on the high side, but not dangerously high, which is a good thing. If this is the case, the oxygen levels in your tank water could be a little higher from your pH reading, but nothing any issues, but let’s look a little closer

Do any other fish have any symptoms at all? Do see them at the surface often, or do they rest comfortably at the bottom?

Is your aquarium enclosed? If it is, remove the entire top. Using a small pitcher, push it deep into the tank water filling it up as you pull it out; pour it back in; repeat for 5 to 10 minutes. After doing this, test the pH level and report back

Sorry for delay in response; internet was fuzzy all day

Venus
      Keymaster

Don’t worry about the other fish nibbling at the rotting fins. This is only natural. The fin will fall away no matter, and the other fish are inadvertantly moving things along. It will grow back if the fish survives

We do need to work on your GH levels. While the fish hasn’t been with you long enough to have been affected by them, and the rotting fin is clearly due to the poor water quality of its previous owner, let’s discuss soon

Venus
      Keymaster

test

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Goldfish has ragged tail and clamped fins’ is closed to new replies.