help fish looks like it has nitrate posioning

Home/GFE Forum/Diagnose Goldfish Symptoms and Treat/help fish looks like it has nitrate posioning
help fish looks like it has nitrate posioning 2017-02-13T20:39:10+00:00

goldfish emergency Forums GFE Forum Diagnose Goldfish Symptoms and Treat help fish looks like it has nitrate posioning

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Should I be putting him in a deep bucket as a hospital bucket for the depth for healing? Or just wait it out?
    KH went down again so I am adding more baking soda tonight.

Venus (Goldfish Master)Venus (Goldfish Master)
    Keymaster

How deep is your tank?

Long live our fish

Cricket (Master Goldfish Keeper)
    Keymaster

Your tank’s a 20 long, isn’t it Sammy?

SammyandIssy (Expert Goldfish Keeper)
    Participant

The water is about 11.5 inches deep.
    He is eating but still bottom sitting.
    Is it normal for the KH to go decrease over 24 hours?

Keymaster

Yes, it can decrease in 24 hours and when you have a sick fish, it’s good to test it daily and add baking soda whenever needed.

Keymaster

I have in mind, a goldfish aquarium or tank that has a shallow end on one side, and a deep end on the other, giving fish an option. Floating fish need shallow water, but fish with nitrate issues need the deep

Give him a couple of days, and maybe you should spread water changes out even more due to the shallow depth. It’s risky, the chamber. You really have to be on top of it. I think you could pull it off; very time consuming too

Do you have two pumps in your tank?

I’ve got instructions for the deep chamber therapy; it works. Consider investing in a mean green remedy to enrich the blood

Keep buffering. Add sea shells; helps support KH

Eating is a very good sign

Long live our fish

Participant

I do normally have two pumps. I have my spare pump in there right now (so three are in there) trying to increase the oxygen level. I do take the third pump out when I am not here as I don’t have a sponge on it. I bought a sponge for it last night but it needs to be fitted by my husband.

Participant

do you sell the mean green remedy?
    I like your deep and shallow tank idea!!

Participant

he continues to eat a little and every once in a while swims around foraging but goes back to bottom sitting for most of the time.
    After he gets better, should the kh remain at 140 range?

Participant

Video of Issy tonight

Is there any way this could be a sinking swim bladder issue? :scratch:

Keymaster

Can the fish lift from the bottom, or does it have to thrust in order to rise, and then it sinks against its will? A floating issue causes the fish to rise against its will

Long live our fish

Keymaster

It looks to me like Issy has improved! Keep up the good work!

I had a fish with sinking disorder. He couldn’t get of the bottom without a ton of effort. Issy looks like he’s swimming well in the video and doing much better than before. He may still rest on the bottom when tired or not feeling well, but it looks like you’re on the right track. Keep those nitrates low and KH and GH up.

Participant

I think it can lift on its own. doesn’t seem to have a buoyancy problem but I don’t understand why he gulps the air at top then breathes the air out half way down. I was just thinking it was a bladder issue. His dorsal fin looks slightly clamped down to me.
    He seems worse today. Is the tank supposed to be cooler or warmer during this time?
    Should I try another in tank salt bath?
    IT is a 20’long tank, cricket.
    Can I buy the book with the remedies in an online version?

Keymaster

Keep the water temp at 68f or so

I wouldn’t do another bath just now

Better act fast because this book is coming down in a few days. ahahahaha (evil witches laugh)

He gulps air because his blood has been thickened by nitrates. He’s being deprived of oxygen because of it. He would be a goner right now if your water wasn’t in such good shape

Long live our fish

Participant

My fish is doing better but not completely. After he eats a pea, he tends to sit at the bottom and appears to chew for a long time. He is swimming around and foraging but still sits at the bottom quite a bit of the time and hides behind the pump. Is he still healing? Why does he sit after he eats a bite?

Keymaster

When a fish is poisoned by nitrite or nitrates, the toxin thickens the blood. All of the body parts and function slow. Under the best care, it will take months for your fish to recover, and even then it will be super sensitive

That the condition hasn’t worsened is a good sign. Keep up the good work

Long live our fish

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

View My Stats