water quality

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Water quality

My water quality has the ph at 8 the gh at 20 about 20 drops (low 300 area I think) and the kh at 9 drops( about 150). Are those good numbers for my fantail and regular goldfish?

Thanks.

I think I found the correct place to post. I guess I lost my 18 pages of history on the last website, lol.

Did another water quality check and the GH is at about 90(5 drops) while the KH is in the 376 range (21 drops). I realize the GH is low but if I add epsom salts won’t it increase the KH also?

Venus
      Keymaster

Hi Sammy, You’ll find your history in the archives listed in the forum sections. If you like, you can cut and paste the link to your old thread into a post here in the new forum for easy access. Here’s a link leading you to the old forum forum archives

I would think the numbers in your first post are closer to the true readings, and if this is the case, they look great. If these numbers are accurate, I might think the oxygen levels are a little low. pH is combined reading of KH (carbonate mineral) and O2 (oxgyen) KH gives water the ability to support oxygen, and I like to see this parameter between 120 to 140 ppm, considered to be the high end of the comfort zone. Why settle for less? The tests we buy at the shops are low in quality, whether you buy tubes or strips, and KH reads lower than what it actually is. If you’re getting a reading of 150 ppm, your levels are probably closer to 130 ppm, which is a very good reading

With KH levels like this, I would expect to see pH of 8.4 or maybe a little higher, and if I remember correctly you have pond pumps, and the tank is open; right? This leads me to believe the KH is actually much lower than the reading your getting, closer to 100, maybe a little over, which is still good. In this case, your KH and pH are okay. If you had any issues with your fish or bad bacteria, I would recommend buffering KH to raise the pH, but as long as the fish is fine, no worries at all

The high readings for KH in your second post are very unlikely, as no fish could tolerate these levels. When KH is too high, the fish pulls the dorsal (top) fin close to the body; clamped tight. This is because carbonate mineral has the potential to burn, making the fish uncomfortable

These testers are all too often inaccurate, especially KH. If you want the real story, contact your water department, and ask for readings for carbonate mineral. Most departments have this reading, and are delighted to talk with you. You may also be able to find your water report online. If you find it, and have problems understanding, post the link here, and I’ll look it over. Sometimes, instead of listing the mineral content individually, they group the minerals together under ‘total’ hardness, which doesn’t help us much. This is why calling them is helpful

Keep your testers in the fridge to keep them fresh, and restock your supplies every 6 months. Buying more expensive testers really isn’t the answer to an accurate reading, because these testers aren’t so great either when it comes to KH. An accurate KH tester for the pros would cost three to four times what we pay

My thoughts are; you’re in good shape, but your testers may be old

Your GH looks good too. You’re very lucky. You shouldn’t have to buffer either parameter. GH and KH are unrelated. GH is made up of magnesium and calcium whereas KH is made up of carbonate mineral

I”m always excited when a member wants to know more about their water because how healthy your fish is, depends on how healthy the water is

How is your fish?

Have you checked out our sister site yet, TOG? You’ll find all of natural remedies there, and much more The Organic Goldfish Check out Water Boost under organic water treatments. If we find I’m right about the lower KH, this will give your fish the boost it needs

Thanks for taking the time to join us on the new site. It’s nice to see a an old member around

Okay so I messed up on my reporting my readings and switched them in my previous posts.
      these are my parameters this morning:
      GH 410 (based on 17.6 per drop with it taking 23 drops to change color)
      KH 125
      PH 8
      ammonia 0
      nitrite 0
      Nitrate 5

I didn’t used to have the GH that high. I have been adding epsom salts over the last few months and I believe that is what has made the gh go so high.
      Thanks for the hint about keeping chemicals in fridge.
      Is this GH too high? if so, how do I lower it?

My gold fantail seems to be losing the orange color on his head and turning white. Is this normal or is something wrong? I am concerned as a found a scale when I was doing a WC this week. I don’t see a bunch of scales missing on either fish and it doesn’t look like they have scales on their head.

Venus
      Keymaster

As long as you don’t raise GH any higher, you’re good. The comfort zone is 200 to 400 ppm, with the high end being preferred. All of your parameters look fantastic

It’s only natural to lose a scale now and then, so I wouldn’t worry

Can’t be sure about the color change. Goldfish do change colors, but gradually. The only two things that cause white marks unnaturally are ammonia readings and too high of a KH, so you’re out of the woods there. Another symptom that accompanies the infamous white marks are clamped fins. If your fish are behaving normally and the dorsal fins are up, they’re feeling good

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.