Organic Fish Keeping

Organic Fish Keeping 2020-08-05T21:44:49-05:00

Organic Fish Keeping

Buy the book

Organic Fish Keeping isn’t easy to do with our pet shop shelves filled with chemicals. We’ve been brain washed to believe that they are the solution from just about anything that ails our fish. If the industry knows the real story, they’re not sharing it. Most every ailment our fish suffer from has to do with poor water quality, improper maintenance and feeding. A quick fix, the so called medicines sold at the pet shop all too often push fish over the edge

Low oxygen levels are the direct cause of bad bacteria infection. A fish can only be as healthy as the water it lives in. Improve the health of the water; improve the health of the fish

Follow the 10 Steps to Goldfish Koi Keeping, and your fish will thrive in the healthy environment you create

The friendly bacteria that create the nitrogen cycle are even more delicate than our fish. The chemical medications added to their fish house may weaken their colonies, causing a spike, or worse, the cycle to break

When the ecosystem is healthy, your fish will be healthy. You won’t be tempted to add dangerous additives to your fish house if you’re on a well that is. If you live in the city, the water is chlorinated to destroy bad bugs in your drinking water. Most all fish keepers know that chlorine must be converted by the use of water treatment

Once you’ve created a healthy ecosystem, avoiding the use of chemical medication is easy, because they’re unnecessary. Avoiding the use of water treatment may prove to be more difficult

Have you ever wondered what’s in water treatment? If you’ve ever used it, you’ve gotten a whiff of what smells like sulfur, and that’s because these water treatment contain sulfur dioxide, an irritating toxin.These treatments also contain fisulfite, metabisulfite and sulfite derivatives used for dechlorination, resulting in adverse effects on aquatic life by lowering oxygen levels, leading to a drop pH, not to mention the effect the chemicals may have on our fish

Chlorine verses chloramines

The lesser of two evils, we’re glad to have it when a spike occurs in our cycled tanks or ponds, or as the cycle becomes established, but do we have to use it for our regular water changes? In a cycled tank or pond, only chlorine and or chloramines are being eliminated with the use of water treatment

Water treatment free

We don’t know what long term damage water treatment can cause, but the fact is, the chemicals used in the substance are
not a part of a natural environment. Us and our goldfish would be all the healthier without their use

There have been many cases of goldfish poisoning where the source could not be traced, and some cases directly related, but
most of these cases were due to the fact the fish keeper didn’t follow or understand its use

Alternative to water treatment

Oxygen destroys chlorine, however, it does not destroy combined chlorine, better known as chloramines. Combined chlorine is created when ammonia is used with chlorine to give it longevity and added strength

Water treatment free

It’s a myth that allowing water to stand will remove chlorine. Liquid gas, chlorine can only be removed naturally by oxygenating the water. Adding a pond pump to move the water will expel gases in the air. Adding Oop Boost to water will destroy chlorine on contact

To have a greater understanding of oxygenating water, read pH; Potential of Hydrogen

If the pH value in your fish house water is on the low side, use Water Boost to destroy chlorine and gently lift KH and oxygen levels

Because Oop Boost destroys chlorine, but not chloramines. Contact your local water service before switching from water treatment to hydrogen peroxide to eliminate chlorine

Water treatment has the potential to cause an excessive slime coat on fish; the body’s effort to protect itself. It can burn
goldfish with inferior slime coats, as well as human flesh. The burns in the photo above were caused by overexposure to treated goldfish water due to hand feeding a goldfish with a sinking issue

organic fish keeping

Water treatment has the potential to cause an excessive slime coat on fish by irritating tissue; the body’s effort to protect itself. It can burn
goldfish with inferior slime coats, as well as our own skin. The burns in the photo above were caused by overexposure to treated goldfish water due to hand feeding a goldfish with a sinking issue

If you’re interested in learning more about organic fish keeping, buy the book

All rights reserved
Author: Brenda Rand

Skip to toolbar