In memory of Po

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

In Memory of Po

In memory of Po. I lost Po on 1/27/16 after having him just a year and a half. He was a beautiful and spunky fish and I miss him dearly. For details about his illness see my January journal entries.

In memory of Po

Venus
      Keymaster

A sad day indeed when you lost Po

I know Po was really special to you, and it hurt to loose him. Don’t beat yourself up about. Next to me (cough cough) your the best goldfish keeper I know. Po was a very lucky fish to have lived in excellent water and have such a great diet to boot. You did right by him

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. I have a long way to go til I’m as good as you, but thanks for sayin’. I try not to beat myself up, but I feel guilty. I’m constantly thinking about what I could do differently if I saw the same symptoms again, trying to trace back to when they started, ad nauseam… you know. lol

Venus
      Keymaster

What we would do differently. That’s a good one. Having been through this countless times, I can tell you in most every case the outcome would be the same. No matter how beneficial our remedies are; they’re powers are limited. Even if you had taken Po to a vet that specializes in fish, there’s a good chance the doctor’s efforts would be in vain. Even today the doctors are treating the symptoms of many conditions without a means to cure

Our best means of treating our fish is using that old ounce of prevention, and we’re doing just that

If some day we can get to the point where the fish we have we’ve bred and raised, that ounce would go a lot farther. We know that most fish being sold online or in pet shops are medicated, salted and fed hormones. This gives us a rough start, and so do the breeds we invest in

The fish we ogle over the most are flawed genetically purposefully by the breeders, and yet we are disappointed when their lives are short. I don’t think Mother nature intended for goldfish to have giant bug eyes, making for poor vision. She didn’t intend on their bodies to be shortened by half a normal body length, making for poor digestion. The very traits that she gave them by design in order for their species to be successful, man screws it up so the fish not only can’t survive in the wild, but has a very short life span in captivity

Even though I don’t advocate messing with genetics to change a breed for the worse, the cold hard fact is, most goldfish, no matter what the breed, will die within a few months after purchase due to ignorance, so I’m not going to worry over their genetics, and neither should you. I just wanted you to know, blame the industry, not yourself. We can’t change it, but if we can become a part of it, and make a difference :yes:

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.