Life lessons learned from loss

goldfish emergency Forums gfe FORUM GFE GENERAL DISCUSSION Dearly Departed Goldfish Life lessons learned from loss

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Katrina911

I came home from work to discover the cage of the filter system I had was missing off the end of the pipe from the tank to the canister. It had fallen off and one of my lil buddies had been sucked up into the canister below, well most of it had been.  This is one of those life lessons learned from loss.

The rest of the poor fella was still stuck at the entrance of the tubing !!! I was gutted. Got rid of that filter system as that was the last straw. (It was time consuming to clean and didn’t enhance their environment with any other features the way a pond pump does so out it went). A pond pump is so much easier to keep to clean and does so much more for the water quality. The fish also liked to ride the jet stream up from the pump.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Kat, I’m so sorry to hear. Are you keeping goldfish again? If so, I’m happy to hear it!

Katrina911

That was a few years back. My life is still in flux so no fish yet.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ah, I get it. Well, when you do decide to get some fish, they’ll be lucky little guys having you as their keeper.

I was lucky to find GFE as soon as I bought my fantails. Keeping fish is expensive enough without going through the trial and error process of trying all those complicated and spendy filtration systems.

Venus
      Keymaster

I’m still learning these life lessons. Lost the algae on the wall of my tank cause I was too tired to remove the gravel which chewed it off as we rolled it. When my computer gets set up, I’ll post the event

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh, so sorry. You’ve worked so long on that algae growth. Ah well, it’ll grow again. (-:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Another life lesson: the day I took the sponge and intake cover off the wrong pump and came back to find Fanny stuck to the intake. She still has little red spots from it. Thank god it was nothing worse.

Katrina911

another life lesson- I offered to feed a friends xylotil ( beatcha spell check !!) in winter while the owner was on a cruise in the south pacific. I popped over to her place and got the grubs out of the fridge . I was wearing a long sleeved’ non able to roll up far enough ‘top so I had to strip to the waist to plunge my whole arm into the very cold tank to wake the guy up to feed him. Next time wore a tank top underneath to keep some of me warm while wiggling worms at this bottom dweller.

Venus
      Keymaster

Lol did the fish oogle u?

Katrina911

LOL !!! he was wide awake the next time I came to feed him. Gotta say when he was asleep and I knew nothing about these critters- he jumped when he woke up with a grub in his face. So I jumped and dropped that grub oh and I screamed a little. Who am I kidding I recalling freaking out a bit when I had my 1st fish tank and all the fish crowded my hand when I plunged it in with food for them. ( I’m SO brave 🙂 )

Venus
      Keymaster

I was scared of the first fish I got. There was a lot of shreeks and sqeals going on

Anonymous
      Inactive

That is funny, amazing and unbelievable, all at once. What was it exactly that scared you?

Venus
      Keymaster

If you’re talking to me, it was cleaning the bowl, and moving the fish. I had no idea what I was doing, and they were so tiny; half an inch if that. It was a beautiful bowl; antique and held one quart. I cleaned it every day to keep it pretty. lol When I was a kid, we had an aquarium with six goldfish in it. My really mean sister cleaned it once a week; they were her fish. One day she dropped a fish on the floor and it flopped under the fridge. She couldn’t get it out. That night when we were tucked in bed, she whispered to me, “hey Brenda, ya know where that fish is?” “Where,” I said. “I put it in your bed.” That’s what started my fish nightmares I have no doubt, and could be one of the reasons I’m so passionate about goldfish, due to her lack of caring

Katrina911

ahhhhhh sharing with siblings. If you’re talking to me it was me encroaching on their space and their lil sucker mouths gumming my hand. I got used to it and would tickle their bellies ‘ Fat things would wiggle more to get away and basically just wobble to and frow but I’d stop to laugh instead.

I shared with my older sister. My bed faced the dressing table mirror and I would silently make silly faces in it for ages when I went to bed. This irritated my sister no end so she took to putting a blanket over the mirror. :yes:

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.