Welcome to GFE Forum

Welcome to GFE Forum 2016-03-16T15:19:37-05:00

goldfish emergency Forums gfe FORUM GFE MEMBERS ONLY GFE Introductions Welcome to GFE Forum

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster
      #14140 |

Welcome to GFE Forum

Welcome to my world. I hope you like our new format; thanks to wordpress; it was a piece of cake. Okay, a whole cake and gourmet as well. Several months ago I decided to upgrade goldfish emergency website. At eight years of age, it was looking tired and out of date. It took much longer than we had anticipated, but finally we have the site up and running with everything in place

Welcome to GFE Forum

The new site has all of the features the old site had, only so much more. It’s much easier to navigate and much more pleasant to look at. Everything you need or want is right at the tips of your fingers. I hope you’ll take some time to look around, and see what’s new

Let us know what you think

• Lifeguardguy (Expert Goldfish Keeper)

New layout looks great Venus! Sleek and clean. 🙂

I ended up making a new account. Don’t know much about wordpress, sorry to hear that others are having trouble logging in.

• Venus
      Keymaster

Nice to see you Life. No one could log in because I forgot to install the register and log in feature in the menu; funny huh? lol

I thought we had it set up so only the passwords would have to be changed, but maybe you joined just before that came about. We’re in the process of bringing over the members from the other site; hope it works. I say we, but I mean my son. lol Creating these pages has been one of the most challenging projects I’ve ever worked on. I have a whole new respect for those that build websites for a living. I’m exhausted, but it was worth it

How’s your fish doing in the smaller aquarium?

It’s nice to see that some of our old members will go the distance to be here. Persistence is omnipotent

Haha, whoops. I don’t envy your position of migrating an entire site.

I joined back pretty early on when I saw the switch. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit.

Winkey and Clive are happy and healthy! As expected, the move stressed them out a bit and they spent a lot of time hiding for the first week or so. Now they spend a lot of time in they open. They are back to their old antics of turning over every pebble in their tank foraging for food and begging to be fed when I walk by the tank. lol

• Venus
      Keymaster

They don’t look worried now. In fact, they look fantastic; happy fish

It’s the best reward to see your fish thriving after putting in the work. 🙂

• Venus
      Keymaster

hi hows every one bine this site is s till a bit confuseing

• theo75
      Participant

Hey I am back! After a long Hiatus of Life and work, I am still around. I used to be TeddyV but now I am Theo75!!!!

My goldfish have outgrown their 40 and I just gotten them an 135g Acrylic tank to give them more space to do their goldfish business. Ill be posting up pics of the set up soon. So hope all is well with you!

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey, Theo and welcome back! Can’t wait to see pics of your new 135 gal!

• theo75
        Participant

You can check out the tank here. I will be setting up a Periscope Link soon so the goldfish can be seen live.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdv0KiPH9wU[/video]

• Katrina911

I love the idea of a live feed to see the fish. If I get stressed I can relax in front of your tank 🙂

• Venus
      Keymaster

Awesome tank, except I would lose the top completely. Oxygen is absorbed into the water from the surface. If you’re attached to it, consider setting up a fan pointed at the surface

Your fish don’t seem to be in distress, so I think that 6. reading for pH isn’t right. Do you see them at the surface gasping, or looking as if they’re begging for food? A reading of 6 won’t support life. Our comfort zone is 7.4 to 8.4 ppm so you can see we need to work on your readings right away

pH is a combined reading of KH (carbonate mineral) and oxygen levels

When raising pH, we start by bringing KH up. Our comfort zone is 120 ppm. You say your KH is one drop, meaning it’s at 17.8 ppm, so we have a ways to go

We use bicarbonate of soda to raise KH. Pull a gallon of tank water, mix 1 teaspoon of soda in it. Pour the gallon of tank water back in the tank slowly and all around, mixing with your hand as you do so. Wait for a half hour after mixing the soda in the tank water, and test KH again. Add more soda using the same method after comparing the new reading with the old. Use your judgement on how high the reading jumped as to how much soda to add. It’s better to go slow and work your way up then to go over the recommended amount. Most testers read about 20 ppm lower than the actual reading, but don’t exceed 140 ppm

After you get your KH buffered, test pH. If KH is at the recommended goal of 120 ppm, pH should be close to 8. ppm. If it’s still low, we know the oxygen levels are low

In most cases of low oxygen levels, carbon dioxide is taking up space in the body of water, keeping oxygen from entering at the surface. This is a gas created from the waste your fish produce. Have you read the 10 steps yet?

Once we get KH and pH where they belong, we’ll work on GH as well

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Very nice! Your comets are beautiful! I especially love the white one. And your fish have a lot of room in there; that’s the best part. I agree with Venus; lose the top and get a fan, or fix a fan so it blows air under the top so waste gases can be blown away. I’m a little nervous about the ends of your tank being unsupported; at 8 pounds per gallon, you’ve got over 800 pounds of water in that tank. As far as I know, the entire bottom surface should be supported evenly or the weight of the water could possibly stress those ends and cause crazing, cracking or worse.

Really great set up!

• Venus
      Keymaster

Test forum style

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar